top of page

Helpful Information this Winter

We have put together this list of resources, so you can easily find and access relevant support during the Winter months. We understand that winter, and the festive season, can be particularly challenging, so please get in touch if you need any additional help from the team here at Carers' Hub.

Emergencies: For life-threatening emergencies, call 999 for an ambulance. To contact the police or fire brigade in an emergency call 999. For the police non-emergencies call 102.

Emergency contacts: If you're worried about a child or vulnerable adult please contact Lambeth Social Services on 020 7926 5555. If there is an immediate risk to a child, young person, adult or yourself, please contact the emergency services on 999.

Emergency Food: Lambeth Larder has a lot of useful information about emergency food on this webpage. Additionally they have produced a Festive Food and Support List for during the festive period.

Crisis Support

If somebody is at immediate risk of suicide call 999.

South London and Maudsley NHS Mental Health Trust Crisis line: If you need urgent help for a mental health crisis call 0800 731 2864 (Option 1) to speak to South London and Maudsley’s local 24-hour mental health crisis line.

Samaritans work to make sure there is always someone there for anyone who needs someone. If you need emotional support, are struggling to cope or are at risk of suicide, the Samaritans helpline is open 24/7 365 days a year and you can call them on 116 123.

Solidarity in a Crisis- Out of hours crisis helpline: Provides peer support over the phone for adults experiencing a mental health crisis. The helpline is open Monday to Friday from 6pm until midnight, Saturday and Sunday from midday to midnight. Freephone 0300 123 1922.

Shout: 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help. Text 85258.

Specialised Helplines

The Silver Line Helpline: A free helpline for older people across the UK open 24/7 hours a day. Call 0800 4 70 80 90

Freephone 24-Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline: The helpline is run by Refuge, call 0808 2000 247.

Rape Crisis: A free phone and online chat service for anyone aged 16+ in England and Wales who has been affected by rape, child sexual abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment or any other form of sexual violence. Call 0808 500 2222 or go to their website.

Support for Young People

Childline: If you are 18 or under, Childline offers you free, confidential advice and support whatever your worry, whenever you need help. Call 0800 1111 or use their online chat and email features.

Papyrus: Provide confidential support and advice to young people struggling with thoughts of suicide, and anyone worried about a young person. Call: 0800 068 41 41 or Text: 07860 039967.

NSPCC helpline: If you're an adult who is worried about a child, you can contact NSPCC professional counsellors for help, advice and support on 0808 800 5000. Monday to Friday 8am – 10pm or 9am – 6pm at the weekend.

Energy Crisis Support

Warm Home Discount: Is a scheme for money off your electricity bill for winter 2022 - 2023. To qualify for the scheme you either have to receive Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or on low income and have high energy cost. You will receive a letter informing you about the scheme, if you haven't received a letter and think you are entitled to call 0800 107 8002 before 28th February 2023.

Citizens Advice Extra Help Unit: Supports residents who either have no energy supply, are about to run out of credit / no money for a prepayment metre. They can also help residents with talking to their energy supplier to organise tariffs, create a debt repayment plan or support in other ways. Call 0808 223 1133 and ask for the Extra Help Unit.

Fuel Bank Foundation: The Housing Support Team have fuel vouchers to support an array of vulnerable cohorts including welfare impacted residents, care leavers, pensioners, and residents in high arrears and at risk of eviction. To be eligible you must have a prepayment metre, be living without heat, light or power because the metres have been switched off OR metres will be switched off within the next 24-48 hours and residents do not have finances for reconnection. Residents are at risk of eviction, in high rental arrears or on a low income. Please email the Housing Support Team on for more information or to make a referral

Warm Spaces: The London Borough of Lambeth have partnered with organisations to provide a network of Warm Spaces to visit for free, relax, stay warm. Some may offer hot food , activities and services. Most Libraries are offering this service, as well as other sites- find your nearest warm space here.

Cost of Living Support

Lambeth Council Website: The Council have put together a list of resources and available support, for those struggling due to the cost of living crisis. This includes information on the emergency support scheme, as well as signposting to local organisations that can help.


Urgent medical help: To get urgent medical help call NHS 111.

Flu Vaccine and COVID-19 booster: Carers who receive Carers’ Allowance or are the main carer for an older or disabled person are eligible for a free flu vaccine. Carers are also eligible for a Covid-19 Booster Vaccine. Call 119 or go online to book a vaccination.

Polio Vaccine: Children aged 1 to 9 years old in London are being offered a dose of polio vaccine. You can find a local walk-in site here.

Strep A: NHS services have come together to manage their response and help ensure those who need urgent treatment and/or antibiotics get them. Most cases are mild and easily treatable, but if people are concerned, they should contact NHS services. Find information from the NHE here.

NHS Strikes: Regardless of any strikes, patients who need urgent medical care, continue to come forward as normal, especially in emergency and life-threatening cases e.g. when someone is seriously ill or injured, or their life is at risk. On strike days this means calling 999 in these instances, and for non-emergency help using NHS111 online or calling 111.

You can find more information about the support available in Lambeth, via Lambeth Council's new Community Solutions Hub. Here, information is gathered in one place, to make it easier to find the correct support.


bottom of page